Suggest a PCMCIA wireless card?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 11 22:04:09 UTC 2008

On 8/11/08, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Okay, I suspect my linksys card is indeed dead. Anyone have any
> recommendations for a decent b/g wireless card that works well in Linux?
> Preferably something that *doesn't* need ndiswrapper, if possible...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Madi

Before getting a laptop with built in wireless I got and was basicly
happy with an SMC SMCWCB-G wireless card. Supported by the Atheros
drivers, see:

  madwifi.org

When looking at hardware compatible with the madwifi folks do pay
careful attention to the model and revsion number.

My first 802.11g device was a TRENDnet TEW-424UB WiFi USB dongle (I
thought, hey I could use it with laptop and desktop). Before purchase
I had checked to make sure the TEW-424UB was supported under Linux
(the web pages I saw said it was). Turned out there is more than one
version of the TEW-424UB, Version 1 well supported under Linux,
internally version 2 is totally different and ... well, sort of
supported under ndiswrapper... The version number can be critical,
sigh...

Colin McGregor