Suggest a PCMCIA wireless card?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 11 21:31:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:45:02AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Okay, I suspect my linksys card is indeed dead. Anyone have any
> recommendations for a decent b/g wireless card that works well in Linux?
> Preferably something that *doesn't* need ndiswrapper, if possible...

In general ralink based cards seem to be supported.  There are drivers
in the kernel for the rt2500/rt61 and the like after all.

http://ralink.rapla.net/ has a decent list of such devices.  Of course
the usual issue of idiot companies using the same model name for
completely different and incompatible designs is always an issue, so be
careful.

I have a linksys PCI WMP54G v4 myself which is a ralink 2500, while my
sister has the same thing in a v4.1 which is a ralink 2561 (different
driver and design) and there was no way to tell from the outside of the
box that they were different and I was trying to get specific cards down
to checking the FCC number on the box and still managed to get different
versions.

--
Len Sorensen