Puretracks considers GNU/Linux a variant of Windows 98 (first edition)?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 7 22:00:53 UTC 2008

2008/8/7 Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
> In a way I'm glad to see that they even refer to GNU/Linux, however
> the wording on the back of the card leaves something to be desired:
>
>  Puretracks.com supports the following Operating Systems:
>  Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP,
>  Windows 2003, MAC. Puretracks is not compatible with
>  Windows NT4, Windows 98 (first edition) and GNU/Linux
>  variant. MP3 tracks download to MAC and iPods.  WMA
>  tracks are not compatible with MAC.
>
> But a variant of Windows?  OMG.
>
> Surely it's a typo or something.  Still, gimme a break.  After this
> message shows up on Gmane, I'll forward the link to Puretracks.

Please forgive the quote recycling: "never attribute to malice that
which can adequately be explained by bad grammar."  I think they have
simply grouped the OSes badly and didn't mean to suggest that Linux
was a variant of Windows.  Anyone who would go so far as to call it
"GNU/Linux" has obviously read at least a little on the subject.  And
if you're going to get all hot and bothered about it, feel free to
protest for *BSD: unsupported AND unmentioned.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org