Puretracks considers GNU/Linux a variant of Windows 98 (first edition)?

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 7 19:43:30 UTC 2008

A recent tragedy had me out walking and thinking about things.  In my
hand I'm holding a promotional prepaid card that I found for
Puretracks.com, compliments of the OLG.  (See
http://www.puretracks.com/olg for details)  I've no idea if it's any
good or not, but what I found when I read it gave me a bit of a start.

In a way I'm glad to see that they even refer to GNU/Linux, however
the wording on the back of the card leaves something to be desired:

  Puretracks.com supports the following Operating Systems:
  Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP,
  Windows 2003, MAC. Puretracks is not compatible with
  Windows NT4, Windows 98 (first edition) and GNU/Linux
  variant. MP3 tracks download to MAC and iPods.  WMA
  tracks are not compatible with MAC.

When combined with text from the website... such as "Our support of
major musical events is one of the many ways that OLG creates
'Everyday Possibilities' for the people of Ontario," I find it leaves
a sour taste in my mouth.

Everyday Possibilities for the people of Ontario?  GNU/Linux is that.

But a variant of Windows?  OMG.

Surely it's a typo or something.  Still, gimme a break.  After this
message shows up on Gmane, I'll forward the link to Puretracks.

--
 Scott Elcomb
 http://www.psema4.com/