Desktop BSD? (WAS: Puretracks considers GNU/Linux a variant of Windows 98)

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 8 13:24:49 UTC 2008

Just out of curiosity, does anyone use BSD on the desktop?

I'm fairly used to seeing it on servers, but even in shops that are
heavy on using FOSS the desktops are usually Linux even if the servers
are BSD.

My ports tree seems to have a good array of GUI apps (not that I've
installed any, but they're here if I wanted to), but I suspect one of
the main issues might be kernel support for "new, fancy hardware X."

Comments?

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:00 PM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> 2008/8/7 Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
>> In a way I'm glad to see that they even refer to GNU/Linux, however
>> the wording on the back of the card leaves something to be desired:
>>
>>  Puretracks.com supports the following Operating Systems:
>>  Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP,
>>  Windows 2003, MAC. Puretracks is not compatible with
>>  Windows NT4, Windows 98 (first edition) and GNU/Linux
>>  variant. MP3 tracks download to MAC and iPods.  WMA
>>  tracks are not compatible with MAC.
>>
>> But a variant of Windows?  OMG.
>>
>> Surely it's a typo or something.  Still, gimme a break.  After this
>> message shows up on Gmane, I'll forward the link to Puretracks.
>
> Please forgive the quote recycling: "never attribute to malice that
> which can adequately be explained by bad grammar."  I think they have
> simply grouped the OSes badly and didn't mean to suggest that Linux
> was a variant of Windows.  Anyone who would go so far as to call it
> "GNU/Linux" has obviously read at least a little on the subject.  And
> if you're going to get all hot and bothered about it, feel free to
> protest for *BSD: unsupported AND unmentioned.
>
> --
> Giles
> http://www.gilesorr.com/
> gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org