File formats for resumes (was Re:soffice cli interface?)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 24 14:00:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:24:11PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> They don't want to modify it, they want to do keyword extraction. Such
> activity is thwarted by embedding the resume as a JPG (it's unlikely
> they use OCR) and thus such a tactic is pointless. And PDFs are usually
> disliked because they're often bloated -- including every used font is
> just one thing that makes PDFs generally much bigger than DOC or ODT
> files of the same document.

The PDFs I manage to create (not using adobe tools of course) tend to be
surprisingly small and compact.  I can't say the same for a word
document for a single page (how can it take 100KB to store a page of
text?)

> In any case, the job of a recruiter -- and the only way they make money
> -- is matching people with suitable jobs. If I was using the service of
> such a recruiter and small modifications in my resume would make that
> task easier, why would I object? I have found that "good"  resumes are
> in the eye of the beholder and sometimes need to be modified for the
> employer. If the headhunter is willing to do that work for me I'd hardly
> want to get in their way.

Changes to a resume by someone that doesn't understand the field can
potentially make it say something untrue.  Do you want to explain that
to someone that wants to hire you?

--
Len Sorensen