File formats for resumes (was Re:soffice cli interface?)

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 25 11:50:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Lennart Sorensen
>  The PDFs I manage to create (not using adobe tools of course) tend to be
>  surprisingly small and compact.  I can't say the same for a word
>  document for a single page (how can it take 100KB to store a page of
>  text?)

I believe they're that small because Linux tools DON'T include the
fonts that Adobe's own tools do.  I've created documents under Linux
and thought "hey, that Nimbus font looks nice!" only to find that the
resulting PDF looked like utter crap under Windows because the Nimbus
font wasn't packed with the PDF _and_ didn't exist on the target
machine.  My resume now consists of Arial and Times New Roman and not
much else for this very reason.

I usually send RTF to people who request Word with a polite
explanation that it will open in Word, but if they have any problem
I'll arrange to send them the real thing.  I did have that once, which
sent me scrambling to a friend's machine to borrow Word long enough to
do a "Save As."

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/