[Bulk] Re:Michael Geist - Bell Secretly Throttling Wholesale Internet Services? - UPDATED

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 8 17:34:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:58:09PM -0400, Tyler Aviss wrote:
>  > To add to the whole fun about how much Bell sucks.
>  >
>  > I buy my internet from Teksavvy. Unfortunately, as they're DSL, my
>  > "last-mile" comes through Bell. That means that any issues regarding
>  > the copper connection between my house (condo) and the CO are all in
>  > Bell's hands.
>  >
>  > So, recently I called them in regards to the fact that when my
>  > Dry-Loop connection was installed (by Bell), it broke the intercom
>  > used for people to call into my unit (and request that I unlock the
>  > door, etc). I have now been on and off of hold for about 2-3 hours,
>  > and I think I've spoken at least once or twice to a person from every
>  > department in Bell. The sympatico guys insist that it's a line issue.
>  > The line guys say that it's a sympatico issue. Several departments
>  > have told me that I need to pay for a phone installation to have it
>  > work (despite the fact that others with no phone have a perfectly
>  > functional buzzer).
>
>  Do other people with no phone _and_ dry loop ADSL have it working?

No idea about dry-loop + no-phone, but it does work with no-phone so I
know it doesn't have to dial a phone number (which is too bad because
I'd love to have it call my cell). If a line-filter is required -
which I  suspect may be the case - then Bell should have done so at
the time of install. Unfortunately, after over two hours of being put
on-hold or disconnected, I've yet to even be transferring to a
department that can address my issue without passing the buck.

>  If so it may just be a matter of having to install the ADSL filters in
>  the right places or something.  Of course many newer (last 1 or 2
>  decades) buildings simply use the phone system directly for the intercom
>  and dial your number rather than tapping into the phone line, which of
>  course means no telephone service means no intercom, or you can have it
>  go to a cell phone or something like that (Many people I know do have
>  the intercom call their cell phone).
>

>  > I would *really* love to see Bell taken to task in regards to the
>  > crappy service they provide. I'm sure this isn't a new issue, as
>  > pretty much *everyone* on DSL uses their lines. Anyone else had this
>  > experience?
>
>  Not me.  I currently have cable not ADSL, and I live in a house, not an
>  appartment.  When I did live in an appartment a few years ago, the
>  intercom system simply dialed my number to buzz in, which was fine most
>  of the time, unless I was on the phone.  Of course I also have a regular
>  phone service as well.
>
>  --
>  Len Sorensen
>

> --
>  The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>  TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2
(647) 302-0942