[Bulk] Re:Michael Geist - Bell Secretly Throttling Wholesale Internet Services? - UPDATED

Tyler dl-VfU7g9ZgxX7GZwFJSaPsbg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 9 14:13:40 UTC 2008

Tyler Aviss wrote:
>>  Do other people with no phone _and_ dry loop ADSL have it working?

I don't see why this won't work.  It certainly depends on your buzzer
system, but if anything, the symptom should be that when someone hits
your buzzer, it scrambles your DSL.  Try using another pair:
- Is the 2nd pair of your existing phone line used?
- Do you have any extra pair run to your condo?

>>  > I would *really* love to see Bell taken to task in regards to the
>>  > crappy service they provide. I'm sure this isn't a new issue, as
>>  > pretty much *everyone* on DSL uses their lines. Anyone else had this
>>  > experience?

Yes...  I have a dry loop myself, and have had several issues just "pop
up" with it.  Irritating stuff like 90% packet loss for hours on end,
then works fine for months.  (Ended up being a bad CO-side modem.. lucky
chance that Bell-authorized repair guy showed up while it was
occurring.. he had no idea, so he started replacing stuff).

I worked for a Teksavvy reseller for a while; I swear Bell would
randomly mess up customer's lines for no reason.  Why is the solution to
any problem, "reduce the profile" (give them less bandwidth)?  Is having
them troubleshoot their network too much to ask?  You have no idea how
many tickets I put in, only to fire another ticket in to raise the
profile back up.  And honestly, a 48 hour service level OBJECTIVE?  Ugh.
  Especially when 1 in 10 Bell requests takes over 48 hours.  This means
that a packet loss issue turns into a WEEK worth of tickets, a
frustrated me, and an angry customer:
packet loss ==> lower the profile
problem still exists ==> [ignored]
 >48 hours priority push ==> [magic fix]
raise the profile ==> back online at full speed

I had a friend try to install non-Bell dry DSL into his condo.  Bell
sent over 5 or 6 techs to finally get it installed.  It ran at 3Mbits
unsteady, then fell to 1, then wouldn't sync at 128k.  Bell was in & out
of there for a solid two weeks trying to get it fixed.  Despite having
25 unused pair run to his suite, they couldn't get it running.  The best
part is that Bell marked the install as complete, and started charging,
so he had to fight to get a refund on the half-month of "service" he had
received.

Tyler