Sept 11th Meeting, What happened?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 24 14:22:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 12:46:53AM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Most of the money has been used to pay expenses for printing and such
> for materials for the spring trade show (presently called IT360,
> sometimes called LinuxWorld or RealWorldLinux).
>
> The number was set at $20, if memory serves, because it was generally
> agreed that this was small enough that it wouldn't generally be
> considered a "material" expense.
>
> It doesn't take a terribly fancy restaurant to have a meal that costs
> that much or more.  And I think the metric of "cost of meal" may well
> have come up in discussion...

Some people don't go to restaurants because of the cost.  Certainly many
students don't (at least high school students who never have much money
in my experience).

If you want people to join a club and pay membership the cost has to be
low enough that people don't care about the cost.  $20 is certainly too
high for that.  A membership that costs the same as a cup of coffee no
one blinks at.  If it costs the same as dinner at a restaurant, then you
want to have a good reason to pay it.

--
Len Sorensen