Sept 11th Meeting, What happened?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 24 04:46:53 UTC 2007

On 9/23/07, Robert Brockway <robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
> > Oh that $20.  I still haven't figured out what that is supposed to
> > accomplish, or why it was made (in my opinion) much too high for the
> > type of club.
>
> Ouch.  I consider $20 a negligible amount for a club membership.  This
> money can cover the inevitable incidental costs that any organisation
> generates.  I suspect that in the past these minor costs were born by
> members without compensation.

Most of the money has been used to pay expenses for printing and such
for materials for the spring trade show (presently called IT360,
sometimes called LinuxWorld or RealWorldLinux).

The number was set at $20, if memory serves, because it was generally
agreed that this was small enough that it wouldn't generally be
considered a "material" expense.

It doesn't take a terribly fancy restaurant to have a meal that costs
that much or more.  And I think the metric of "cost of meal" may well
have come up in discussion...
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)