Sept 11th Meeting, What happened?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 24 14:19:19 UTC 2007

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 11:46:35PM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> Ouch.  I consider $20 a negligible amount for a club membership.  This
> money can cover the inevitable incidental costs that any organisation
> generates.  I suspect that in the past these minor costs were born by
> members without compensation.
>
> My involvement in GTALUG has certainly given me _much_ more than $20/year
> value.

I pay $2 per term (or $6 per year) for my membership in the CSC at
Waterloo (the Computer Science Club).  Members get access to the
library, talks (although many are open to non members too), have the
priviledge of being allowed to get an account on the CSC systems (which
is how I still have this account), get to vote in the elections each
term (if one bothers to show up), etc.

If I had set the price for membership in GTALUG it would probably have
been $5 or at most $10 per year.  Of course I would also have to tell
people what that got them, which other than being able to vote, I really
have no idea at this time.

I know the purpose of the money I pay the CSC.  They spend it to upgrade
hardware, pay for donuts for their talks, occationally new furniture for
their office, etc.  I have no clue what GTALUG is doing with the money
they collect (if any).  There is a serious lack of openness about what
GTALUG does and why it does it.  Or maybe the real answer is that nobody
knows.  The CSC has publicly posted (to their usenet group) meeting
minutes for many meetings, and post their budget so people have a clue
what is going on.  Perhaps GTALUG should be doing the same.

Well that's my point of view.

--
Len Sorensen