Geek woman news story of possible interest...

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 22 00:57:56 UTC 2007

Ran across the following bit about Star Simpson, a
student at MIT arrested in essence for acting like a
geek:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/21/1849208

Bottom line, the woman visited the airport to pick-up
a friend while wearing a hoodie with an attached
prototyping board that had a battery and some LEDs on
it. Then things got weird.

Some of Ms. Simpson's geek credentials can be seen
here (articles she has written for the instructables
website on topics like TIG welding, or motorizing
roller blades):

  http://www.instructables.com/member/stasterisk/

I am of two minds about what happened, the Boston
police come off looking like a bunch of jerks (after
the great Boston Mooninite scare not something they
need). On the other hand when I go to places where I
know I can expect to see people with guns I try to do
the "look invisible" route. Trying to dress, act and
look as bland as possible.

Thoughts?

Colin McGregor