free antispam for Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 24 13:37:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 07:37:44PM -0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> I think Lennard wrote once that he has his email since 1994 and does
> not care about spam?

This account I got when I started at Waterloo in 1994, and I have used
it since.

> What was that software you are using?

I use bogofilter called from procmail.  My bogofilter database is
currently 93MB.  I had been previously collecting all my spam in a mail
folder, so when I decided to try bogofilter, I fed it the whole folder
of about 20000 spams and said 'this is spam'.  Then I fed it my other
mail folders (about 10000 messages) and told it 'this is not spam' and
that probably got it to around 99% accuracy, and I think I have only
ever found 1 message in the spam folder that should have been there, but
it was due to someone sending me an html email with a broken attachment
that made match all sorts of crap on the mime64 encodded block.

> I need to convince my boss that there is free software of high quality
> around, for Linux, for protecting from spam.

Well things like a barracuda do as far as I can tell exactly the same
thing as bogofilter, exept the interface is web based and it comes on a
dedicated box you pay lots of money for, and it comes preloaded with
some data to start it out.

Of course if someone wants it I can put my bogofilter database on my
webpage (after compressing it) if someone wants to get a bogofilter with
a head start.

lately I have been seeing a lot less spam messages on this account
though (only maybe 15 or 20 messages a day rather than the typical 200
to 300), which I believe has to do with some new greylisting system
the mail server had installed.

--
Len Sorensen