mount slave drive

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 15 14:28:31 UTC 2007

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> I have a slave hard drive. I have nto got into it since I did a clean
>> install of fedora 7. I stayed away from it during the installation. I
>> want to access it now. It contains songs (.ogg). I want to do this
>> right as I don't have a backup. I backed up all my data before the
>> installation, but the 10 GB music sdlave drive I never backed up
>> because my space on the backup computer isn't enough to accommodate
>> that. I figured if I lost the songs it wouldn't be the end of the
>> world. But I don't want to lose them. The drive of course is not
>> listed in /etc/fstab. I don't seem to haev a Hardware Browser (or
>> somesuch) in fedora 7. Can someone step me through mounting this drive?
>
> Hi Chris.  Use "fdisk -l" as root to see all of the partitions the box
> thinks it has.  Figure out which one is the one you are interested in.
Should I worry that /dev/hdb1 (the partition I'm trying to mount) has a
Start and End of 1, and that System is Empty?:

[root at p733 chris]# /sbin/fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 20.5 GB, 20547841536 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2498 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1         608     4876168+   b  W95 FAT32
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2             609         620       96390   83  Linux
/dev/sda3             621        2498    15085035   8e  Linux LVM

Disk /dev/sdb: 10.0 GB, 10005037056 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1216 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sdb1   *           1           1           0    0  Empty
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
[root at p733 chris]#

<snip>