mount slave drive

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 16 03:49:34 UTC 2007

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Chris Aitken wrote:

> Should I worry that /dev/hdb1 (the partition I'm trying to mount) has a
Start
> and End of 1, and that System is Empty?:

Yeah, I would.  The output of fdisk is the canonical info appearing in the
partition table.  The partition table records only a zero length partition
on /dev/hdb.  You still have options...

> [root at p733 chris]# /sbin/fdisk -l

[hda snipped]

> Disk /dev/sdb: 10.0 GB, 10005037056 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1216 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>  Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1   *           1           1           0    0  Empty
> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
> [root at p733 chris]#

If you did indeed see a working hdb1 at some point in the past then it
looks to me like the parittion table has been altered or has become
corrupt since you last accessed the drive.

Tools exist to attempt to find lost partitions.  Warning: These tools can
do irreparable damage to your data.  They can also recover your data.
Quite a few tools are available.  Some OSS Linux based tools include gpart
& testdisk.  Both of these utils are on Knoppix I believe.

When trying to recover really important data it makes sense to dd an
image of the disk to a safe place before beginning the recovery attempt as
this gives you a safety net.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"