mount slave drive

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 15 04:31:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Chris Aitken wrote:

> I have a slave hard drive. I have nto got into it since I did a clean install
> of fedora 7. I stayed away from it during the installation. I want to access
> it now. It contains songs (.ogg). I want to do this right as I don't have a
> backup. I backed up all my data before the installation, but the 10 GB music
> sdlave drive I never backed up because my space on the backup computer isn't
> enough to accommodate that. I figured if I lost the songs it wouldn't be the
> end of the world. But I don't want to lose them. The drive of course is not
> listed in /etc/fstab. I don't seem to haev a Hardware Browser (or somesuch)
> in fedora 7. Can someone step me through mounting this drive?

Hi Chris.  Use "fdisk -l" as root to see all of the partitions the box
thinks it has.  Figure out which one is the one you are interested in.

For argument's take lets say you figure out it is /dev/hdb1.  You can do
this:

mkdir /mnt/hdb1
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1

This is only a temporary solution.  Add an entry in /etc/fstab (back it up
first!) and then umount the partition from /mnt/hdb1 and mount it in the
correct place.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"