semi-pro PCI snd crd for linux

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 4 16:24:43 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 10:00:19AM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> i went there and don't see the picture...
>> http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=13
>>

> www.emu.com, products, upgrades & accesories, stereo Y adapter cable.
>

>> Unless the adaptor is TRS as well?
>>

> A single TRS port is one channel.
I'm glad you put it that way. This is what I don't get. The way I
understand TRS is that it is stereo in /one/ plug. Tip, Ring, Sleeve
represents left and right channels going through one cable. So, your
statement, "A single TRS port is one channel" doesn't make sense to me.
> Left or right.  You need to connect
> your speakers to both the left and right channels of one output meaning
> two plugs.
>

>> As you know, my card is working now. If you think 1.0.14 will be better
>> I'll install it. As you can see below I tried to use yum to install it
>> (and avoid rpm dependency hell). Any suggestions?
>>

> Well until someone packages it for the distribution it is hard to
> install that way.

I'm just being lazy - I downloaded a tar.bz2 file - I'll look for
instructions and install it from that. Again, should I bother - my card
is "working" - will it work better with 1.0.14?

>> [chris at p733 ~]$ su
>> Password:
>> [root at p733 chris]# yum install alsa-firmware-1.0.14
>> Setting up Install Process
>> Parsing package install arguments
>> Nothing to do
>> [root at p733 chris]# exit
>> exit
>> [chris at p733 ~]$ rpm -i Desktop/alsa*.rpm
>> warning: Desktop/alsa-firmware-1.0.14-0.pm.0.noarch.rpm: Header V3 DSA
>> signature: NOKEY, key ID 5277a2fa
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>        alsa >= 1.0.14 is needed by alsa-firmware-1.0.14-0.pm.0.noarch
>>        hotplug is needed by alsa-firmware-1.0.14-0.pm.0.noarch
>> [chris at p733 ~]$ man rpm
>>

> Whoever packaged that screwed up.  Hotplug is obsolete and not used
> anymore.  udev is the modern method.
>
> In your case the firmware files could just be installed manually, and if
> you ever get a hold of an alsa-firmware package for fedora, it will just
> overwrite the files.  I believe the firmware file is required to make
> the card fully functional.

Okay, I guess that answers the question above.

Chris