New computer - x64 or x32?

Sun Sep 2 02:33:11 UTC 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 09:00:24PM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> I've got a new computer with a AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core chip in
>> it,
>> and I'm wondering if I should put a 64-bit Linux on it, or just stick to
>> a 32-bit system.  Pros?  Cons?
>
> How much memory? Anything over 4gb, I wouldn't hesitate to use 64bit, PAE
> or not. What distribution? What will you use the box for? How much time
> would you want to spend setting up 32bit flash and java plugins (pretty
> easy actually).

This machine is just a home desktop - 1Gb RAM

Flash is a must, as is a Citrix client.  This machine watches movies, surfs
the Internet, plays Wesnoth occasionally.  Must run vim :-)  Other than
that, as long as I can write Python code, it works.

I'm running Debian, and I'm content with the nv driver.  I want things
to just work - it's why I use Linux.
--

yours,

William