New computer - x64 or x32?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 2 02:38:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 10:33:11PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> This machine is just a home desktop - 1Gb RAM
>
> Flash is a must, as is a Citrix client.  This machine watches movies, surfs
> the Internet, plays Wesnoth occasionally.  Must run vim :-)  Other than
> that, as long as I can write Python code, it works.

Well I wish flash would stop regularly exploding firefox on my 32bit
machine.  No idea what a citrix client is like.  Citrix with the NCD
extensions of course is trivial, since it speaks XDMCP and X11.

Internet is easy, I suspect wesnoth is fine.  Vim is no problem, and
neither is python.

Watching movies could be a pain depending on the required codecs.

> I'm running Debian, and I'm content with the nv driver.  I want things
> to just work - it's why I use Linux.

Well nvidia works just fine under both 32 and 64bit whether you use free
or non-free drivers doesn't matter.

Personally if I had a 64bit x86 machine at home it would have 64bit
Debian with a 32bit chroot for the few stupid things.  If my wife ever
finishes using her old laptop (and sticks to the new one only), I will
have a 2GHz Athlon 64 to play with, in which case I can have a 64bit
Debian x86 install.  I do have a 64bit Debian install now (as of
yesterday), but it is on a 21164 alpha. :)

--
Len Sorensen