setup remote printer in cups

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 19 14:21:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 11:03:11AM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I have a printer attached to PC1.
>
> I print to that printer remotely from PC2.
>
> I want to setup PC3 to print to that remote printer as well. Nothing is
> working. I am trying to copy the settings I used (on PC2) to set up
> remote printing on PC3. I can only see so many settings in the cups
> 'printer' on PC1 and PC2 without destroying those 'printers'. Is there a
> way to see all the settings I entered when I (successfully) created the
> 'printers' on PC1 and PC2?
>
> All three PCs are on te Internet and can ping one another. Just to
> reiterate, I can print and I can print remotely - I just can't repeat
> the steps (to set up a PC to print remotely).
>
> PC1, PC2 ad PC3 are not the real names of the computers - I'm just
> trying to make it easy to track things...

Well one option (which I use) is to have one machine be the cups print
server, and configure it to share it's printers with the network.  Then
every other machine with cups installed will just automatically see
those shared printers and work with no further setup.

Current versions of cups have a checkbox in the web setup to enable
network access to the printers on the machine.

--
Len Sorensen