setup remote printer in cups

Moniz Family john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 19 16:14:16 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 11:03:11AM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> I have a printer attached to PC1.
>>
>> I print to that printer remotely from PC2.
>>
>> I want to setup PC3 to print to that remote printer as well. Nothing is
>> working. I am trying to copy the settings I used (on PC2) to set up
>> remote printing on PC3. I can only see so many settings in the cups
>> 'printer' on PC1 and PC2 without destroying those 'printers'. Is there a
>> way to see all the settings I entered when I (successfully) created the
>> 'printers' on PC1 and PC2?
>>
>> All three PCs are on te Internet and can ping one another. Just to
>> reiterate, I can print and I can print remotely - I just can't repeat
>> the steps (to set up a PC to print remotely).
>>
>> PC1, PC2 ad PC3 are not the real names of the computers - I'm just
>> trying to make it easy to track things...
>>

> Well one option (which I use) is to have one machine be the cups print
> server, and configure it to share it's printers with the network.  Then
> every other machine with cups installed will just automatically see
> those shared printers and work with no further setup.
>
> Current versions of cups have a checkbox in the web setup to enable
> network access to the printers on the machine.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen
I use the same setup (cups) and it works as you describe for every box I
have except for the Ubuntu box. When I boot it up it doesn't see the
printer. Cups appears to be installed.

Does anyone know if this is normal for Ubuntu? I thought it should work
without having to go through the setup routine of specifying URI,
drivers, etc.

Thanks,

John.