setup remote printer in cups

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 19 14:25:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 10:33:57AM -0400, Alex Beamish wrote:
> And is nmbd running on the PC with the printer? I needed that in my setup.

You only need that if you want to use (the inferior) windows printer
sharing.  You can access IPP printers directly from windows 2000 and
higher (and win 98 with the right driver installed).  That is what
ipp|http://host:631/printers/printername is.

IPP has the advantage over smb that you don't have to be logged in for
it to work, so on a network with a domain controller you can log in as
the local admin without logging into the domain and you can still print
if you use IPP.

--
Len Sorensen