setup remote printer in cups

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 16 09:07:37 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

<snip>
> My strategy here is to create a second working 'printer' (at PC2) to
> print remotely (to printer at PC1). I figure that if I can do this
> successfully then I can recreate that success on PC3. I am doing this
> for two reasons: 1. I know remote printing is working from the
> existing 'printer' on PC2, and 2. PC3 is on another floor so it's not
> convenient going up and down stairs to see that the printer still
> isn't printing.
Is the following a valid URI?

lpd://p733/PSC_1600_series

I know p733 is the hostname of computer1 because I can do a successful
'ping p733'. I assume that the 'queue' (on computer1) is PSC_1600_series
because of the following:

[root at p733 chris]# lpq -PPSC_1600_series
PSC_1600_series is ready
no entries

However, when I create a 'printer' (on computer2) to print to that
printer I get "Network host 'p733' is busy, down or unreachable; will
retry in 30 seconds..." when trying to do a Print Test Page.

Do I have to configure permissions or something in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf?
Of course that still begs the question, Why can I print successfully
from the existing 'printer' (from computer2 to computer1) but can't
create /another/ 'printer' to do the same thing?

Chris

<snip>