setup remote printer in cups

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 16 12:36:48 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

> <snip>
>> My strategy here is to create a second working 'printer' (at PC2) to
>> print remotely (to printer at PC1). I figure that if I can do this
>> successfully then I can recreate that success on PC3. I am doing this
>> for two reasons: 1. I know remote printing is working from the
>> existing 'printer' on PC2, and 2. PC3 is on another floor so it's not
>> convenient going up and down stairs to see that the printer still
>> isn't printing.
I'm okay now. I kept trying URIs until I got one to work. The URI that
finally worked was http://p733:631/printers/PSC_1600_series

That got me printing over the network from computer2 to computer1 (where
the printer is connected). I changed that to
http://192.168.0.2:631/printers/PSC_1600_series to print over the
network from computer3 to computer1 as, I guess, there is no DNS between
those two computers.

Well, I'm happily printing all over the house now, and I learned a
little about cups printer paths. I was trying to mix lpd paths into cups
which is fine if you have symlinks between the two systems (I used to
have these but do not now). I know soon I'll have to re-learn how to do
the symlinks so that cups can print from lpd commands. xpdf (for
example) uses the lpd command. I won't be able to print .pdf files until
I set up the symlinks.

Thanks Tyler and Alex.

Chris

<snip>