setup remote printer in cups

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 16 02:59:00 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:
> Tyler Aviss wrote:
>> Are you printing to an ip address or a hostname?
Two things are gnawing at me:

1. The 'printer' (I put single quotes to distinguish it from the
physical printing device) at PC2 that successfully prints to the remote
printer (PC1) is identified in cups as "HP PSC 1600 Foomatic/hpijs
(recommended) on 192.168.0.103". I don't undestand what that IP address
/is/ . Is it the IP address assigned by the ISP's cable modem (even
though it appears in /sbin/ifconfig even when the cat5 cable (from cable
modem) is unplugged)? Is it a NAT address assigned by the router
(because I know it's not the router's "real" address)? And why can't I
get that "on 192.168.0.103" on any subsequent 'printer' I create?

2. The 'printer' at PC2 that successfully prints to the remote printer
(at PC1) seems to not care what it's uri is - I know this because last
night I accidentally altered it's uri (which ti didn't seem to have to
begin with) and it still printed successfully to the remote printer. Why
does the working 'printer' not care what it's own uri is?

I, hoping that the answers to these two questions hold clues as to what
I should try next.

My strategy here is to create a second working 'printer' (at PC2) to
print remotely (to printer at PC1). I figure that if I can do this
successfully then I can recreate that success on PC3. I am doing this
for two reasons: 1. I know remote printing is working from the existing
'printer' on PC2, and 2. PC3 is on another floor so it's not convenient
going up and down stairs to see that the printer still isn't printing.

Chris

<snip>