The Inhumanity of MMP

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 10 00:30:06 UTC 2007

Mike Kallies wrote:
>> I understand the calls for fairness, I get the point proponents are
>> making, and I do see some benefit of cold logic in the proposal.
>> However, IMO what we lose from MMP is far more than what we gain. There
>> are many other reasons to oppose MMP, but this is certainly a big one to me.
>>

> There's one thing which keeps this in check.  Just barely.
>
> It is in the party's best interest to appear to follow a democratic
> process, else nobody will vote for them with that second vote.
>
> If this passes, I might just become a card carrying Liberal.... PC,
> NDP, and Green.  That way I can have some say as to who is appointed
> and as to whether or not the parties degrade into the state you
> describe.
>
> Personally I would rather see the candidates for the MMP placements
> selected from the unsuccessful canidates with the highest number of
> votes of all the party's ridings.  That way, the MMP candidate is not
> selected by the party, but is selected by the people, but they're
> answerable to the members of their constituency...

Well, that has one flaw, which is that it makes it fairly difficult for
a riding to vote out a local representative.  However, the way the
proposal is right now, list members can also be running in local
ridings.  This allows parties to, for instance, put their leaders on the
top of the lists to ensure that they get into parliament even if they
loose their local riding (like John Tory seems set to do tomorrow).

Marcus