The Inhumanity of MMP

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 10 01:13:23 UTC 2007

Marcus Brubaker wrote:

> the way the
> proposal is right now, list members can also be running in local
> ridings. This allows parties to, for instance, put their leaders on the
> top of the lists to ensure that they get into parliament even if they
> loose their local riding (like John Tory seems set to do tomorrow).

So, if a party-favourite candidate is rejected by his own community, he
should be offered a consolation-prize seat in the legislature anyway?
This strikes me as a bug rather than a feature -- not to mention the
possibility that big chunks of the Cabinet (or all of it) could be list
candidates with no direct public accountability. No thanks.

- Evan