The Inhumanity of MMPyy

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 10 00:17:22 UTC 2007

Not as a direct response to anyone. But lets think about that example.

In 1989 there were the first since WWII so called "free elections" in
Poland. I remember well these times. These elections were in fact not
really free. They were aranged according to rules agreed by comunists
and so called oppositiom. I am using the prase "so called"
intentionally, becasuse all that, how we learn after many years only
after, have been to such an enormous degree prepared and arranged
indeed.

Till now, after almost 20 years since these revolutionary political
changes, the electoral system in Poland is still proportional. Still
people vote there on parties, not on people really. Why? A lot of
intelectuals would like to change it to be more democratic, close to
what exists in most advanced western countries. But not much can be
done.

If parties are at decision making, not people, they will care for
their own interest. There is a lot of corruption there. Huge scandals.
No, dont take me entirely wrong - there was a huge progress in Poland
during last 20 years towards a more normal political functioning. But
the problems I know about have a deep root in sick political system
that can NOT be easy changed.

It is easy to go into proportional system or change the system to
mixed. But it is not easy to change it back. The reason is, simply,
that mixed and in particular proportional systems are ideal for
political parties. And they have the power over media, over spreading
propaganda, shaping your mind.

I do not want the mixed system in Canada. I live here and do care for
this country. I do not want it also here because I do care about my
another country, Poland. And, believe me, there, in Poland, they look
on what is going on in Canada. I do not want them to see a bad
example.

zb,.