FPTP vs MMP

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 9 16:06:57 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> 39 out of 129 seats is 30% not 45%.  So instead of 107 ridings you end
> up with 90 ridings, so yes a decrease would occour.  It takes 3% or more
> of the popular vote before you can get any of the proportional seats
> (which makes sense since 2% would require 50 seats and there are only
> 39 of them available)

The numbers such as 3% and 39 seats are completely arbitrary. They give
the Greens power while shutting out the Family Coalition Party. As such,
they indicate a wilful manipulation designed to advance the cause of
small parties -- providing they're not too small. And the definition of
" what is too small" is totally arbitrary.

While FPTP has its downsides, it doesn't by design impose arbitrary
limits on anything.

And, as I mentioned before, MMP is designed to work against independent
candidates as well as really small parties.

- Evan