FPTP vs MMP

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 9 15:50:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 09:58:27AM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> So, how're you guys voting? FPTP or MMP?
>
> I live in Timmins and it seems that MMP sucks, not because we get to
> vote for the local guy and the party separately (which I like) but
> because we will lose ridings and because about 45% (!) of the seats will
> be 'list' and up to the discretion of the parties. I wonder if the South
> (what we call you up here) have set up things so that MMP will be more
> unattractive than it need be, so that the status quo (which put
> unpopular premiers like Mike Harris in power) will remain. I guess the
> gamble is that we're stupid enough to accept, "If you don't like FPTP
> then why didn't you vote MMP?" Apples and oranges - only the apple is
> organic (but run over by a car) and the orange is genetically modified
> and pesticide laden. I don't love to see my half-baked ideas in print -
> I'm trying to get some more mature perspective if there's any on this list.

39 out of 129 seats is 30% not 45%.  So instead of 107 ridings you end
up with 90 ridings, so yes a decrease would occour.  It takes 3% or more
of the popular vote before you can get any of the proportional seats
(which makes sense since 2% would require 50 seats and there are only
39 of them available)

--
Len Sorensen