starcraft

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 4 23:40:08 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

<snip>
> Just restarting X should do (hitting control+alt+backspace will kill X
> and it will then start a new one with the settings in the config).
>
> I wonder what vmware is trying to use for full screen.
vmware is fine running (for instance) IE in depth 16 when the host
(linux) is in 16. It's when I try to run /Starcraft/ that I get the
message that the guest's depth (8) does not match the host's (16). But
when I go into system-config-display the depths to choose from only go
as low as "Thousands of colours" [16]. I guess my AVITRON AV-7T monitor
won't dumb down to depth 8. When I try to force the setting (vi
/etc/X11/xorg.conf) the monitor goes haywire and I have to go intot he
command line to set /etc/X11/xorg.conf back the way it was. So it is
vmware that says no to Starcraft because it can't get the host to run in
depth 8.

So, what do I do? Do I choose a monitor type (in system-config-display
so I don't directly break /etc/X11/xorg.conf again) that will support
depth 8 even though it won't be the correct driver for my monitor?

>  I am pretty sure
> I have done full screen recently with vmware server without any issues
> but I don't remember for sure.  Of course I was running 24 bit
> everywhere, while your windows guest might be running the game in 256
> colour mode (was starcraft really 256 colour?).
>
> You could try running X in 256 colour mode and see if that works (change
> the default colour depth in the config from 24 to 8).  Of course that
> sucks for everything else.
>
> Which version of vmware are you using?

4.5.1

Chris