starcraft

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 4 17:29:34 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 12:07:25PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> okay I added those lines to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and did a reboot (since I
> can't remember the command to get the new settings to stick). In vmware
> I'm still getting
>
> Unable to turn on direct graphics.
> Your guest's depth (8) doesn't match your host's (24).  Fullscreen may
> have failed because your XF86Config file lacks modes for depth 8.
> Either add the modes to XF86Config, or switch your guest's depth to
> match your host's to enable fullscreen mode.
> Failed to switch to full screen SVGA mode.
>
> What is the command in linux to get the new /etc/X11/xorg.conf settings
> to stick?
>
> /sbin/service resolution restart [?]

Just restarting X should do (hitting control+alt+backspace will kill X
and it will then start a new one with the settings in the config).

I wonder what vmware is trying to use for full screen.  I am pretty sure
I have done full screen recently with vmware server without any issues
but I don't remember for sure.  Of course I was running 24 bit
everywhere, while your windows guest might be running the game in 256
colour mode (was starcraft really 256 colour?).

You could try running X in 256 colour mode and see if that works (change
the default colour depth in the config from 24 to 8).  Of course that
sucks for everything else.

Which version of vmware are you using?

--
Len Sorensen