starcraft

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 5 12:43:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 07:40:08PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> vmware is fine running (for instance) IE in depth 16 when the host
> (linux) is in 16. It's when I try to run /Starcraft/ that I get the
> message that the guest's depth (8) does not match the host's (16). But
> when I go into system-config-display the depths to choose from only go
> as low as "Thousands of colours" [16]. I guess my AVITRON AV-7T monitor
> won't dumb down to depth 8. When I try to force the setting (vi
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf) the monitor goes haywire and I have to go intot he
> command line to set /etc/X11/xorg.conf back the way it was. So it is
> vmware that says no to Starcraft because it can't get the host to run in
> depth 8.

Your monitor will do what it is told.  You do need to have sections in
the X config for 8 bit in order to do that.

> So, what do I do? Do I choose a monitor type (in system-config-display
> so I don't directly break /etc/X11/xorg.conf again) that will support
> depth 8 even though it won't be the correct driver for my monitor?
>
> 4.5.1

Isn't that pretty old by now?  I wonder if newer versions take care of
this automatically.  There isn't any good reason vmware couldn't convert
256 colour to 16 or 24 bit in their hardware emulation rather trivially.

VMware server is free and I believe based on the same level of code as
vmware workstation 5, so it would at least be newer than what you have.
I still haven't found anything workstation does that server doesn't
which seems odd.

--
Len Sorensen