emacs question (can't find the .emacs file)

Alex Maynard maynarda-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 4 16:22:33 UTC 2007

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Slackrat wrote:

> * Alex Maynard <***@uoguelph.ca> a écrit profondement:
> |
> | Hi All,
> |
> | I've got a hopefully quick (maybe silly) question.
> |
> | I have emacs21 installed on ubuntu.
> |
> | emacs itself seems to be working fine, but I can't find
> | any .emacs file to customize.
> |

> However, having said that, my ".gnus" (mail/news) file that does all
> sorts of fancy stuff like putting my piccy (face) into every post and
> adding lame random signatures etc, etc is quite a lengthy file but if
> you are new to Emacs, I will put it on a server for you upon request.
> It could save you significant time and headaches.

That's very nice of you. Thanks very much for your offer.  My use emacs
is mainly for latex (and other) editing and the type of customizations
I was thinking of were along the lines of creating auto-completions or
short-cuts for latex commands. [I explain in a bit more detail below]. If
you have any examples alongs those lines, I would certainly be grateful to be to take
a look.

To explain what I'm aiming at, for example, it is tedious
to write
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
over and over.

Currently I use the \newcommand enviremont in latex to shorten this to
something like:
\b{\eq}
\e{\eq}

(e.g. \newcommand{\b}{\begin}, \newcommand{\eq}{\equation} etc.

The problem is that when I try to view in more of a What you see is what
you get environment, such as preview-latex, my home-made short-cut commands
won't display.  So that's why I am thinking of trying to build the
short-cuts directly into latex.

Alex