emacs question (can't find the .emacs file)

Slackrat tlug-MOdoAOVCFFcswetKESUqMA at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 4 05:00:18 UTC 2007

* Alex Maynard <***@uoguelph.ca> a écrit profondement:

| Hi All,
|
| I've got a hopefully quick (maybe silly) question.
|
| I have emacs21 installed on ubuntu.
|
| emacs itself seems to be working fine, but I can't find
| any .emacs file to customize.

Usually you do not need to set up a separate ".emacs" file unless you
really need to do something nifty.

Do be careful customizing it.

Emacs will normally write its own ".emacs" to record any options you
select

EG: Without an ".emacs" file, set the lame option to blink the cursor,
then - after saving the option - exit Emacs and read the ".emacs"
file. You will see how it goes.

I use Emacs for many tasks - Mail/Gnus, Irc/erc, IDE/html/C/C++, Etc
and even managing UCE/spam and my LISTSERV listserver when I'm too
idle to load X

This is my ".emacs" file

The only item I manually added is:       (require 'w3m-load)
to handle any stray html emails that arrive.

[cite]

(require 'w3m-load)

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(canlock-password "redacted")
 '(display-battery-mode t)
 '(text-mode-hook (quote (turn-on-auto-fill text-mode-hook-identify)))
 '(transient-mark-mode t))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

[/cite]

However, having said that, my ".gnus" (mail/news) file that does all
sorts of fancy stuff like putting my piccy (face) into every post and
adding lame random signatures etc, etc is quite a lengthy file but if
you are new to Emacs, I will put it on a server for you upon request.
It could save you significant time and headaches.

--
SlackRat
-