Homegrown Linux/FOSS Adverts

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Wed May 30 14:50:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 19:33 -0400, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> Ok, so this was the TV, Internet & Democracy thread.  WTH.  I'd just
> like to know if anyone here thinks we _can_ make a difference.

I think we can. I think there are lots of fronts to work on too.

> Now, before anyone responds directly to that statement, I'd like to
> clarify a moment.
>
> #1 - I know a bunch of folks on this list (and others besides) that
> _would like to_ make a difference [in the way Linux/FOSS is
> "understood" by the General Public].  All, fortunately, with differing
> skill-bases.
>
> #2 - I know there's virtually no money to work with.  Any financial
> support would have to come from GTALUG sponsors and/or fundraising.
>
> #3a - I'm looking, for the moment, as to _why_ (eg. reasons *you*
> might support an advertising campaign)
>
> #3b - and _how_ (eg. what media and/or strategies might *you* employ)
> to make it possible.
>
> Perhaps these questions are rhetorical.  Then again, I also suppose
> that would depend on the feedback received.

Here are some ideas that I think can make a difference. Many of these
are grass roots and involve simply getting as many existing open source
patrons to do a little work.

1. Canadian DMCA legislation. This is something that inhibits open
source and should be very important to open source users and developers.
The front here is political and I think the best way to make sure we
aren't as hobbled as the US is to lobby for change. This is ongoing and
has already worked to change the political landscape in Toronto. This
key issue was reportedly responsible for an upset in a Toronto riding.
This is a case of awareness, making people aware of the issue, how it
affects them and encouraging them to write to their politicians, contact
lobbies and spread the word. The EFF, CFIB and probably many others are
potential lobby groups that could help (there's likely many more.)

2. DRM is another issue that threatens open source. This would probably
be campaigns against companies.

3. Government tender issues. As a solution provider I see government
tenders that fall outside the acceptable rules for tenders. Governments
are not supposed to limit tenders to specific vendors, but in many cases
they ask for very specific things like MS Office, or SQL server, etc.
when they should be stating "A office suite of tools that are able to
read and write certain formats". This is another lobby issue.

4. Support for new business. Here in Waterloo we have organizations that
help startups. In Waterloo a lot tend to be technical companies. Many of
these startups use Open Source simply because of the initial cost
savings. Startups tend to have lots of labour, but no cash. I think we
need to bring LUG chapters to these groups. Place it in a business
environment and help them to find open source resources and resolve
issues.

5. Attend Microsoft User Groups. It's amazing how little many MS people
know about open source. I attend the MS meeting here in Waterloo and try
to bring a sober spin MS and Open Source. Go to these groups with the
thought that you only need to mention these products, not convert
people. Push too hard and you'll lose them. Be nice, present projects in
a objective light giving pros and cons then make yourself available for
questions. A balanced approach will gain respect and credibility. I've
even given open source presentations at these groups and have brought
people to LUGs based on this.

I'm sure there are lots of other avenues that are inexpensive to promote
FLOSS. My company spends a fair amount of time advocating Linux and Open
source to businesses at every business event that we attend and with
every person who is willing to listen. We've been doing it for over a
decade now and have converted a lot of companies.

I'm certainly open to helping out in an advocacy project. I think it
could be a clearing house for advocacy papers, polls, petitions, etc.