Homegrown Linux/FOSS Adverts

Richard Dice rdice-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 30 15:03:29 UTC 2007

Scott,

As always I appreciate your enthusiasm.  Do you have a target market and a
corresponding message identified for the campaign?  Do you have a desired
outcome identified?  I.e. something that would fill in the blank for the
statement "We will know if our advertising efforts were successful if we
notice that _______ happened afterwards."

Also, I'm curious regarding what it is with the current state of the world
that you find unappealing such that you want to influence it?  Is it Linux
desktop adoption?  iPods dominate the mp3 player market rather than
Linux-based players?  Insufficient interoperability of Linux / FLOSS systems
with systems provided by commerical vendors?  What exactly are you unhappy
with?  Figuring out answers to these questions will probably make easier
answering the questions I asked in the first paragraph.

My impression of the software world is that it's working out pretty well for
FLOSS in recent years and that the battles are mainly political and legal
now. (E.g. DRM, patently unfair-and-getting-worse copyright regimes creeping
across the world, patent policy with regards to software.)  As long as the
legal regime can be kept (or made) balanced then FLOSS will come out a
winner in most avenues of interest and pretty much all places where it
should.

Cheers,
Richard