Homegrown Linux/FOSS Adverts

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 30 02:37:36 UTC 2007

--- Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Ok, so this was the TV, Internet & Democracy thread.
>  WTH.  I'd just
> like to know if anyone here thinks we _can_ make a
> difference.
>
> Now, before anyone responds directly to that
> statement, I'd like to
> clarify a moment.
>
> #1 - I know a bunch of folks on this list (and
> others besides) that
> _would like to_ make a difference [in the way
> Linux/FOSS is
> "understood" by the General Public].  All,
> fortunately, with differing
> skill-bases.

I am making a (extreamely?) small difference with my
writing, something that I plan to contine with (as it
makes some modest $ for me :-) ).

> #2 - I know there's virtually no money to work with.
>  Any financial
> support would have to come from GTALUG sponsors
> and/or fundraising.
>
> #3a - I'm looking, for the moment, as to _why_ (eg.
> reasons *you*
> might support an advertising campaign)

If it is fun AND cheap I might be game.

> #3b - and _how_ (eg. what media and/or strategies
> might *you* employ)
> to make it possible.

I would go the gorilla marketing route. For example
CITY-TV runs its "Speakers Corner", where for a small
donation you might get your message on TV (this would
call for someone who is a better/more polished public
speaker than I am...).

Something that could say be printed on an address
label an plastered on telephone poles MIGHT be fun...