Seeking opinions

Sheldon Mustard smustard-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 3 17:16:26 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Brice Chaffin <bchaffin72-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> My question is: How does someone get started from such a position?

Well you can go the route which most sysadmins do and get enough
degrees/diplomas/certs that a large organization will let you learn on the
job and learn from other sysadmins.  Lets be honest only large organization
really require dedicated sysadmins (SMBs need generalist).

My personal opinion about the situation is there should be a traditional
apprenticeship program to get some qualification.  Obviously I think many
in IT and sysadmin field don't like that idea because it moves away from
the field as a profession.  FWIW I think software development is a
profession, sysadmin is not (I play a sysadmin weekdays 9 to 5).

SJM

--
Sheldon Mustard
smustard-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
"There will be no order, only chaos." - Pi (1998)