Seeking opinions

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 3 21:36:37 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Sheldon Mustard <smustard-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 5/3/07, Brice Chaffin <bchaffin72-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > My question is: How does someone get started from such a position?
> >

> Well you can go the route which most sysadmins do and get enough
> degrees/diplomas/certs that a large organization will let you learn on the
> job and learn from other sysadmins.  Lets be honest only large organization
> really require dedicated sysadmins (SMBs need generalist).
>
> My personal opinion about the situation is there should be a traditional
> apprenticeship program to get some qualification.  Obviously I think many
> in IT and sysadmin field don't like that idea because it moves away from
> the field as a profession.  FWIW I think software development is a
> profession, sysadmin is not (I play a sysadmin weekdays 9 to 5).
>
> SJM

There are most definitely some alternative perspectives out there...

Well worth exploring is the SAGE web site:
  <http://www.sage.org/>
SAGE is the Usenix SIG for sysadmins.

They have some docs on sysadmin job descriptions (see the "core Job
descriptions" for this) that should give good ideas as to what skills
to prepare in order to be able to be a professional sysadmin.
http://www.sage.org/pubs/8_jobs/8_jobs.html

There's a fair bit of "member only" material; SAGE membership costs
$45USD/yr, and is probably a good deal.

Cool "toolbox FAQ":  <http://www.sage.org/field/toolbox.html>
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)