Partition Inconsistencies

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 19 15:12:43 UTC 2007

On 3/19/07, John M. Moniz <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> There was an error while expanding the / partition and I thought I'd
> lost everything in it. I rebooted and it all still came up. I could see
> the new larger partition in fdisk or gparted, but df showed the same old
> partition size and a fill of 99%. I tried adding a bunch of programs and
> the / partition did indeed fill up as per the old size, running out of
> space and preventing a KDE login.

I'm guessing here, but it sounds to me like the _partition_ has been
enlarged, but the file system on the partition has not been enlarged.
As far as I know, ReiserFS and ext3 can be enlarged on the fly (ie.
with the filesystem mounted) but some (most?) filesystems can only be
resized while unmounted.

For ReiserFS, the command I think you want is resize_reiserfs, and for
ext3 it's resize2fs.

If you need to enlarge the filesystem with it unmounted, you'll need
some kind of LiveCD or rescue disk to get a running system without
mounting /.

HTH,
Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com