Partition Inconsistencies

John M. Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 19 14:30:21 UTC 2007

I was at my sister's yesterday increasing the size of the / partition on
her Mandriva 2007 box. It was at 99% full. I added a small HD for /home
and expanded the extended partition to fill the space vacated by the old
/home partition, then expanded the / partition within the extended
partition using gparted from the Ubuntu 6.06 live CD.

There was an error while expanding the / partition and I thought I'd
lost everything in it. I rebooted and it all still came up. I could see
the new larger partition in fdisk or gparted, but df showed the same old
partition size and a fill of 99%. I tried adding a bunch of programs and
the / partition did indeed fill up as per the old size, running out of
space and preventing a KDE login.

I'm not sure what to do to make the new partition show up properly. I
can try to resize it smaller again and back to larger the next time I
drop in to her place, but I'll just be grasping at straws. Any ideas
what I could do?

Thanks,

John.