Partition Inconsistencies

John M. Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 19 16:14:18 UTC 2007

Ian Petersen wrote:

> On 3/19/07, John M. Moniz <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> There was an error while expanding the / partition and I thought I'd
>> lost everything in it. I rebooted and it all still came up. I could see
>> the new larger partition in fdisk or gparted, but df showed the same old
>> partition size and a fill of 99%. I tried adding a bunch of programs and
>> the / partition did indeed fill up as per the old size, running out of
>> space and preventing a KDE login.
>

> I'm guessing here, but it sounds to me like the _partition_ has been
> enlarged, but the file system on the partition has not been enlarged.
> As far as I know, ReiserFS and ext3 can be enlarged on the fly (ie.
> with the filesystem mounted) but some (most?) filesystems can only be
> resized while unmounted.
>
> For ReiserFS, the command I think you want is resize_reiserfs, and for
> ext3 it's resize2fs.
>
> If you need to enlarge the filesystem with it unmounted, you'll need
> some kind of LiveCD or rescue disk to get a running system without
> mounting /.
>
> HTH,
> Ian

I did the enlarging of the / partition (ext3) using a live CD and the
partition was not mounted. However, there was an error in gparted during
the process. Perhaps the error stopped the process before the file
system was enlarged. So now how do I enlarge a file system when the
partition size has already been changed, without erasing everything in
the partition?