Troubleshooting without help from others (was: Failed to open control device /dev/em8300-0)

Rob Sutherland rob-3Aypa9sX/B7wvR0lvYjcXw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 14 23:04:33 UTC 2007

Jason Spiro wrote:
> 2
> Last summer, a coworker of mine was a software package tester who used
> to be an auto mechanic.  He noted I turn to Google a lot for help with
> problems.  He said it was important to know how to troubleshoot
> without any help from the Web, or mailing lists, or anywhere: to know
> how to track down problems by logical troubleshooting steps.
>
> Is this true?  How important is it, really, to know how to
> troubleshoot independently?

I think the key point is that it's easy to find an (or several)
*answers* via
google, but finding the right *question* is the real problem. If you can
work
out the exact question that fits your problem, finding the correct
answer, whether
by  using google  or reading the code or whatever  becomes much easier.
Your
problem solving process should drive your use of google  not the
other way round.

Rob