Troubleshooting without help from others (was: Failed to open control device /dev/em8300-0)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 14 22:25:45 UTC 2007

2007/2/27, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
[snip]
> I thought for a long time that Google is our friend. That we can find there an
> answer to any technical problem.
>
> Thats right. We can find there _an_ answer. In most cases naive and useless.
> We can hardly find however a solution to the problem.
>
> Why?
>
> Because most what we find on Google are silly discussions by unexperienced
> people. Once they find a solution to their problem they do not bother to
> report back how they solved their problem.

Last summer, a coworker of mine was a software package tester who used
to be an auto mechanic.  He noted I turn to Google a lot for help with
problems.  He said it was important to know how to troubleshoot
without any help from the Web, or mailing lists, or anywhere: to know
how to track down problems by logical troubleshooting steps.

Is this true?  How important is it, really, to know how to
troubleshoot independently?

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I provide software development and training services to clients worldwide.