Ide drive /yes/not recognized

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 7 17:01:20 UTC 2007

Jose wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have this new machine that comes with dual core, it has 3 ide
> connector, one it's the default, already connected to a DVDrom (hdb),
> and one IDE master drive (hda), where I installed a dual boot with
> Suse 10.2 and Centos 4.4, I have installed another IDE (hdf SUse)aside
> of another SATA (sda) drive on this machine, Suse recognizes the 3
> drives + dvd, Centos only recognizes the primary master IDE, DVD, and
> SATA drive, but does not recognizes the second IDE, I  have no idea
> why it would happen on the Centos side, I connected a usb drive while
> on Centos and it recognized it within seconds.
Hi Jose,

Newer dual-core motherboards, notably from Intel, use new IDE
controllers that older Linux kernels don't support. This may explain why
your SuSE recognized the drive but Centos did not; I have little
experiences with recent releases of either. You may find that the Centos
"support" for your IDE drives is limited to booting (because of the
BIOS) and is not supported in regular operation any more than the IDE
hard drive.

There is a driver/patch that supports the new systems with Marvell IDE
controllers:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/10/16/157

This will provide a kernel module 'pata_marvell' which, when loaded,
will recognize the hard drives and other 'conventional' IDE devices
(which are now know as Parallel ATA or PATA).

What I did was to:
1) Boot and install Linux off an external USB-connected  CD-ROM drive
2) Go to the net, download the PATA driver
3) Compile, install and load the module
4) Add it to /etc/modules so that it would be found and loaded
automatically on subsequent reboots

Or you could just use a distribution/version with a newer kernel that
already has the support (as your SuSE apparently does).

I hope this helps. As always, YMMV, standard disclaimers apply.

- Evan