Ide drive /yes/not recognized

Jose jose-vS8X3Ji+8Wg6e3DpGhMbh2oLBQzVVOGK at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 7 18:22:11 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Jose wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I have this new machine that comes with dual core, it has 3 ide
>> connector, one it's the default, already connected to a DVDrom (hdb),
>> and one IDE master drive (hda), where I installed a dual boot with
>> Suse 10.2 and Centos 4.4, I have installed another IDE (hdf SUse)aside
>> of another SATA (sda) drive on this machine, Suse recognizes the 3
>> drives + dvd, Centos only recognizes the primary master IDE, DVD, and
>> SATA drive, but does not recognizes the second IDE, I  have no idea
>> why it would happen on the Centos side, I connected a usb drive while
>> on Centos and it recognized it within seconds.
>>
> Hi Jose,
>
> Newer dual-core motherboards, notably from Intel, use new IDE
> controllers that older Linux kernels don't support. This may explain why
> your SuSE recognized the drive but Centos did not; I have little
> experiences with recent releases of either. You may find that the Centos
> "support" for your IDE drives is limited to booting (because of the
> BIOS) and is not supported in regular operation any more than the IDE
> hard drive.
>
> There is a driver/patch that supports the new systems with Marvell IDE
> controllers:
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/10/16/157
>
> This will provide a kernel module 'pata_marvell' which, when loaded,
> will recognize the hard drives and other 'conventional' IDE devices
> (which are now know as Parallel ATA or PATA).
>
> What I did was to:
> 1) Boot and install Linux off an external USB-connected  CD-ROM drive
> 2) Go to the net, download the PATA driver
> 3) Compile, install and load the module
> 4) Add it to /etc/modules so that it would be found and loaded
> automatically on subsequent reboots
>
> Or you could just use a distribution/version with a newer kernel that
> already has the support (as your SuSE apparently does).
>
> I hope this helps. As always, YMMV, standard disclaimers apply.
>
> - Evan

Hi Evan,

Thanks for your suggestion, that made me check something on the
motherboard manual.

Looking at the motherboard manual, says that I have to apply a driver
for IDE drives from the CDROM it came with it, I guess the guy at the
shop didn't install it, I would have to install tonight as the machine
is at another location, last night I noticed there is an update for the
Centos kernel from their repositories, I would check if this version has
the support I need for my machine configuration.

Jose