State of Linux jobs in the GTA

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 28 03:20:40 UTC 2007

Hello All,

First of all, I'd like to say hi to everyone here in the Eastern province,
and introduce myself. My name is Tyler Aviss, and I'm joining up from BC to
check up and see what the other side of the country is doing linux-wise, and
more specifically to see what the current level of professional interest and
employment is in regards to Linux.

As with many here I'm sure, I started out long ago as a linux dabbler
playing with webservers and scripts, ended up working with linux (well,
mixed linux/windows/mac) at work and becoming a tech/sysadmin therein, and
finally find myself in somewhat of a niche with my primary experience being
based around linux and open-source technology in general. It's a wonderful
thing, and it's sometimes both more interesting and easier... though not
always both at the same time.

So now my main background comes from having worked within two school
districts, the first being mostly server-based (Debian) work, and the
current one - where I am now employed - being based around
Debian/RedHat/OpenBSD servers, thin-client based configurations, and
open-source software. Actually, we were recently on slashdot and a few other
sites in regards to this, although as is common the articles were a little
light on the technicalities of such.  Also, if there was anywhere one could
learn to stretch a buck, it would be working in a school district :-)

At the moment I'm faced with a decision. My current employer - though quite
good for the moment - doesn't offer a lot of room for advancement anymore.
My SO is also out-of-province, in Toronto. I have been hunting down jobs in
the GTA, but so far I haven't found a lot that would be suitable. Higher
costs of living would dictate that I find something similar to my current
earnings, or better, and most of what I've found thus far have been
web-developer jobs (and I lack knowledge of flash) or ones that require a
lot of experience with Unix or Windows Servers. Most of my experience runs
more along the lines of server/network management, desktop integration, and
SysAdmin type work. I don't imagine I'd have too much trouble picking up on
the intricacies of the Windows/Unix (I have some experience with both, but
not a huge amount) environments, but I think my experience would mainly push
me towards making more use of my current skillset.

So, with that long-winded piece of introduction above, I decided that one of
the better ways to learn more about Linux-based interests in the GTA, and
the job-market therein, would be to contact the local LUG (aka you guys).
Any recommendations of local businesses that might be able to make use of my
skills (or better, use my existing skills and let me build new ones) would
be great, as well as any references beyond "check google" or "check
craigslist."

Anyone who can supply some snippets of wisdom, suggestions, or other
information would earn my gratitude.

Regards,

Tyler Aviss
LPIC-2 and all-around nice guy