Wiki Defacement

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 15 00:34:09 UTC 2007

On 6/14/07, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure if these tools exist for the wiki software, but can it
> include/obtain the ability to...
>
> 1) force new accounts to be approved by an admin before allowing the
> account to add/modify anything?
> This allows for some kind of sanity checking for new accounts (ie, not
> from a .cn domain) and to implement at least an informal blacklist

I've never heard of such a thing, but I've never looked for it either.
 It would definitely never become an official feature since the
MediaWiki guys hate building "real world" features like this.  ;)  But
maybe someone hacked together an extension.  I don't think it's
impossible..

> 2) send an email to the user, including a link or passcode to be
> validated before the account goes live?
> This requires a real address be attached to every new account, making
> account-faking more difficult (but not impossible)

This I'm pretty sure exists, but I've never explored it.  I've read
some brief messages talking about such features and it suggests that
someone out there has done the necessary work for this.

> 3) implement captchas to verify new accounts?
> This prevents most bots

I know that there is a captcha extension for making edits to a page,
but I'm not sure about new user creation.  I should think this exists
but I myself haven't explored it.

I haven't explored these things because Bad Behavior has worked that
well for me.  Either that or I've dropped off the face of the earth
because of my domain name changes and such. *sniff*